|Episode name pun on: The phrase of the same name|
|Airdate:||December 23, 1998|
|Director:|| Genndy Tartakovsky |
How did you like Tough Love?
Tough Love is the second half of the sixth episode of Season 1. It first aired on Cartoon Network in the United States on December 23, 1998.
On one of the finest days in Townsville, The Powerpuff Girls are always helping the townspeople with everything, like rescuing the cat from a tree, being on class on time, helping the Mayor open the pickle jar and helping Professor Utonium with his science project. While everyone falls asleep during nighttime, HIM gets tired of the Powerpuff Girls helping everything, so he uses his scent to turn the people against the girls.
The next day, it happens again. Bubbles attempts to rescue the cat from the tree again, but the cat angrily refuses. The old lady is also angry as well and Bubbles, (who rescued the cat and is shredded in pain) does not like it. The old lady beats the girls with a cane and once the school bell has rung, the girls make it on time, only for their teacher, Ms. Keane marks the girls tardy. This triggers a kid named Billy who throws something and when Bubbles tried to tell that to Ms. Keane, She tells her students to throw everything at the girls. Then the hotline buzzes and the girls take off and arrive at the Mayor's office. When Blossom tries to open the pickle jar again, the Mayor sends a S.W.A.T Team to corner the girls. After that, the Mayor declares that Ms. Bellum should fire first. Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup leave, while Buttercup complains this has been a rough day. They head to the Professor's Lab and they try to find out the situation, only for Professor Utonium to catch the girls in anger. The girls manage to escape the front door, only for the townspeople to appear and get ready to beat up the girls (They now have red glowing eyes). HIM reveals himself and his evil plan, and orders the townspeople to attack the Girls. At first, they don't even try to fight, but soon realize they have to fight their friends and loved ones to revert them back to their normal selves. They manage to do so, and warn HIM that if he tries something like this again, he will regret it. HIM assures them that he doesn't give "repeat performances", and disappears into the sky.
At the hospital, the Girls explain the situation to the townspeople, and apologize, saying "It hurt us a lot more than it hurt you!", although their now-injured friends and loved ones agree to the contrary. The Narrator, who was also part of the pummeling, says they forgive the Girls, and calls for his sponge bath.
- The Narrator calls Townsville "The City of Brotherly Love", or should I say "Sisterly Love". This is a reference to the nickname of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This might be due to the fact that Philadelphia has its reputation of being known as "The City of Brotherly Love".
- This was the last episode to air in 1998.
- This episode so far is the most to have its music reused in the next episodes.
- At the end of the episode, the townspeople all say "Well now, we wouldn't say that!" This is a reference to The Great Gildersleeve, particularly Richard Q. Peavey's catchphrase "Well now, I wouldn't say that!"
- [Ms. Keane and the students of Pokey Oaks Kindergarten are throwing things at the girls]
- Blossom: I've heard of class struggles, but this is ridiculous.
- [Buttercup has hit the mob that's been hurting her sisters as Blossom and Bubbles fall to the ground]
- Buttercup: Come on, you guys. Get up and fight.
- Blossom: (getting up) Buttercup, what are you doing? (Bubbles gets up) We can't hurt the ones we love.
- Buttercup: Those people aren't our loved ones. Our loved ones would never want to hurt us.
- Blossom and Bubbles: (seeing her point) Hey, yeah.
- Buttercup: (pointing to "HIM") They're just pawns in his evil scheme.
- HIM: (giggling) Well, you know.
- Buttercup: Which means...
- Girls: Let's get 'em!
- HIM: Uh-oh.
- [The girls have just defeated their loved ones and are now facing "HIM"]
- Blossom: Don't ever make us have to do that again.
- Buttercup: Or it will be your last.
- [Pan across the unconscious townspeople as "HIM" comes into view]
- HIM: Tsk, tsk, tsk. You girls underestimate me. I never give repeat performances, but I assure you...I'll be ba-a-ck! (laughs evilly and disappears into the sky)
- [The girls are visiting their loved ones in the hospital]
- Blossom: So now you know why we had to do what we did. We all feel really bad and hope that you’ll forgive us.
- Bubbles: Besides, it hurt us a lot more than it hurt you!
- Citizens: Well now, we wouldn't say that! (all laughing)
- Narrator: (laughing, then groaning) Don’t worry. We forgive you. Because once again, the day is saved, thanks to The Powerpuff Girls! Oh, nurse, isn't it time for my sponge bath?