|Episode name pun on: The phrase of the same name|
|Airdate:||December 23, 1998|
|Director:||Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken|
How did you like Tough Love?
"Tough Love" is the second half of the sixth episode of Season 1. It first aired on Cartoon Network in the United States on December 23, 1998.
When HIM gets jealous of The Powerpuff Girls' constant attention, he invents an evil gas that spreads around Townsville and causes the citizens to turn against the Girls. The Powerpuff Girls eventually realize they have to fight their friends and loved ones to revert them back to their normal selves (but not before warning HIM not to try something like this again, or he'll be sorry).
- The Narrator calls Townsville "The City of Brotherly Love", or should I say "Sisterly Love". This is a reference to the nickname of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This might be due to the fact that Philadelphia has its reputation of being known as "The City of Brotherly Love".
- This was the last episode to air in 1998.
- This episode so far is the most to have its music reused in the next episodes.
- [Ms. Keane and the students of Pokey Oaks Kindergarten are throwing things at the girls]
- Blossom: I've heard of class struggles, but this is ridiculous.
- [Buttercup has hit the mob that's been hurting her sisters as Blossom and Bubbles fall to the ground]
- Buttercup: Come on, you guys. Get up and fight.
- Blossom: (getting up) Buttercup, what are you doing? (Bubbles gets up) We can't hurt the ones we love.
- Buttercup: Those people aren't our loved ones. Our loved ones would never want to hurt us.
- Blossom and Bubbles: (seeing her point) Hey, yeah.
- Buttercup: (pointing to "HIM") They're just pawns in his evil scheme.
- HIM: (giggling) Well, you know.
- Buttercup: Which means...
- Girls: Let's get 'em!
- HIM: Uh-oh.
- [The girls have just defeated their loved ones and are now facing "HIM"]
- Blossom: Don't ever make us have to do that again.
- Buttercup: Or it will be your last.
- [Pan across the unconscious townspeople as "HIM" comes into view]
- HIM: Tsk, tsk, tsk. You girls underestimate me. I never give repeat performances, but I assure you...I'll be ba-a-ck! (laughs evilly and disappears into the sky)
- [The girls are visiting their loved ones in the hospital]
- Blossom: So now you know why we had to do what we did. We all feel really bad, and hope that you’ll forgive us.
- Bubbles: Besides, it hurt us a lot more than it hurt you!
- Citizens: Well now, we wouldn't say that! (all laughing)
- Narrator: (laughing, then groaning) Don’t worry. We forgive you. Because once again, the day is saved, thanks to The Powerpuff Girls! Oh, nurse, isn't it time for my sponge bath?