|The City of Frownsville|
|Episode name pun on: The City of Townsville|
|Airdate:||July 23, 2004|
"West in Pieces"
How did you like The City of Frownsville?
The City of Frownsville is the second segment of the tenth episode of Season 6. It aired on July 23rd, 2004.
When the carnival comes to Townsville, everyone is as happy as humanly possible. All except for Lou Gubrious, a miserable man, who spends all his time crying, and wants to make everyone suffer from the same depression he is.
A carnival has arrived in Townsville, and everyone is happy until the tearful Lou Gubrious uses his machine to switch everyone's happiness with his depression and misery. Later on, everyone is affected by his machine. At the happy competition, The Mayor announced that the happiest citizen in Townsville is Bubbles. Then the Misery affects the entire audience, breaking them down into tears. Blossom asks "What's goin' on, Professor?" and Utonium immediately knows what is the exact cause of everyone's depression and misery. The talking dog is puzzled at how he knows that. Buttercup provides the explanation "He's the Professor! He knows everything!". Blossom cries, "I don't like it!". Then Lou Goubrious (or now Hal Larious) comes in and swipes Bubbles' trophy. Bubbles then breaks down into tears as well. The Professor surmises that they must make someone laugh, or all of Townsville will drown in a sea of tears. In the end, the tables are turned on Gubrious when he slips on a peel from Bubbles' banana as he is walking away from the "City of Frownsville", as he calls it, causing everyone to laugh at his misfortune and the happiness to be restored. In the end, Bubbles is awarded the Happiest Citizen In Townsville award for the 6th consecutive year.
- It's revealed in this episode that Bubbles has won the title of happiest citizen of Townsville six years running, which is likely a reference to the series running for six seasons.
- This also implies that the girls are six years old.
- This is one of three episodes to have a pun on "the city of Townsville," the other two being The City of Clipsville and The City of Nutsville, this one and The City of Nutsville having something bad happening to the entire city (an unaired clip of Professor Utonium accidentally turning the whole Townsville population into babies, though not himself, was shown in The City of Clipsville, though).
- This is an episode where food or any other inanimate object is additionally credited for saving the day (a banana straight) along with the Powerpuff Girls, others including "Octi Gone" (a contaminated banana cream pie).
- A pigeon crying with Bubbles holding a banana peel is a reference to a song by Prince titled "When Doves Cry".
- Professor Utonium says "Crying is easy, comedy is hard" which is a reference to Edmund Kean's quote "Dying is easy, comedy is hard".
- Lou Gubrious mentions the episode title at one scene, where he decides to rename Townsville to Frownsville ("You know, Townsville is such a silly name. From now one, I think I'll call it The City Of Frownsville!").
- This is one of several episodes where the Narrator says his catchphrase differently:
- "And so once again, the happy day was happily saved, by the very happy Powerpuff Girls! And a banana."
- This episode is dedicated to the lost lives of September 11th, 2001.
- When Lou Gubrious/Hal Larious slips on the banana peel, his eye gets sore but when he is at the carnival, it is cured.
- The Professor raises his hand saying that they have five minutes left, but he only has four fingers.