|Somewhere Over the Swingset|
|Episode name pun on: From the song Somewhere Over the Rainbow.|
|Airdate:||November 18, 2016 (online)|
December 2, 2016 (television)
Somewhere Over the Swingset is the thirty-eighth episode of the 2016 Powerpuff Girls series. It premiered on Cartoon Network's website on November 18, 2016, and it aired on Cartoon Network in the US on December 2, 2016. This episode centers on the girls.
A mysterious person comes to Townsville, challenging anyone who can be brave enough to try his swing set. Against the Professor's wishes, the girls take up the challenge and swing so high that they end up in an alternate dimension where everything is perfect.
The episode starts with the Rainbow Man introducing the tallest swings ever, called "the stratospheric swingset". Big Joey goes first to try it, but could only stay on the swing for 3 seconds and failed. Blossom says that she Bubbles and Buttercup can break break the record, and the crowd cheers them on, but the Professor warns them "no" because that swings is too dangerous, but Blossom says that she Bubbles and Buttercup do dangerous stuff all the time. He thinks that the girls are showing off, but Blossom and Buttercup say no, because Buttercup says they're rubbing it in into everyone's faces saying they can do something the other people can't do. Though, Blossom says "no" because she thinks they're doing it to inspire others to achieve what they thought they could not to to demonstrate the power of female determination. The Professor says reckless responsibility isn't going to inspire anyone and says "Now promise me you won't go on that swing again", and the girls say "We promise.", but disobey the Professor and stay where the were until nighttime to go on the swingset. The girls are swinging on the swing until the Professor scolds the girls yelling, "GIRLS, YOU'RE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE!''. As they go all the way over, they reach the top, and fall to bed in their pajamas in the morning. The Professer then comes and brings the girl oatmeal for breakfast. Later, Blossom's phone rings and the girls go to the Mayor's mansion. When they comeback, Fuzzy Lumpkins and Mojo Jojo had arrived. They go to the bathroom and noticed it's the Professor "fake" in a mirror and he disappears, making the girls cry because they thought he was real. Later, people come to their home and Allegro also arrives, causing everyone including the Professor but the girls to have their eyes change, making them be involved in Allegro's party. The girls try to stop them by punching them whenever they get close, but when the Rainbow man comes, they realize that the only way to do so is to swing on the swingset just like they did the other day when they disobeyed the Professor. and everything is back to normal. Blossom then says "Professor we are so sorry. We should've listened to you about the swing. It was reckless and irresponsible." , and Bubbles asks if they're not grounded and the Professor says they are grounded, ending the episode.
- Ms. Keane (cameo)
- Students of Midway Elementary School
- The Mayor of Townsville
- Mojo Jojo
- Fuzzy Lumpkins
- Robin Snyder (cameo)
- Big Joey
- Rainbow party creatures
- The title of this episode is a pun on the song Somewhere Over the Rainbow from the 1939 MGM movie, The Wizard of Oz.
- This episode marks Allegro's second appearance since "Painbow" and the last appearance in the first season.
- This episode marks a rare occasion to utilize an audience laugh track on the show. Previously, the original 1992 Whoopass Stew short "A Sticky Situation" only had the audience laugh track going off near the end of the scene where the girls were frying the Amoeba Boys in the sun.
- Sometimes when the laugh track went off, music similar to the music from Seinfeld would play in the background.
- "Eat Think Smile" is a parody of Julia Robert's 2010 film Eat Pray Love.
- This episode marks the second time where Bubbles twerks, the first being "Painbow".
- The plot of this episode is mysteriously similar to the plot of the 1998 episode, "Tough Love".
- When Blossom remarked the Mayor a Bizarro, which is a reference to a DC Comics character.
- This episode aired eighteen years after the first aired episodes "Monkey See, Doggie Do/Mommy Fearest" from the classic 1998 series.
- When Buttercup beat up one of the citizens was that guy wearing an Uptown T-shirt make his reappearance from the short "Air Buttercup".
- Mojo and Fuzzy get missing when the Girls are beating up Allegro's army.
- Before the Professor left the girls' bedroom, Buttercup's torso was transparent.
- When in the girls' bedroom, Buttercup's green color was much brighter than it usually is.