|Episode name pun on: Princess Morbucks takes the role of Buttercup.|
|Airdate:||April 4, 2016|
Benjamin P. Carow
"Escape from Monster Island"
Princess Buttercup is the second episode of the 2016 Powerpuff Girls series. It aired on Cartoon Network on April 4, 2016. This episode focuses on Buttercup.
Buttercup meets a group of roller-derby girls called the Derbytantes, who invite her to join their team. However, this only prevents her from hanging out with her sisters, so Princess Morbucks tries to weasel her way into the group as Buttercup's replacement. Blossom refuses to let Morbucks take her sister's place, until they are beaten by a monster and Morbucks finishes him off. Buttercup is sorry that she got so carried away hanging out with her friends, she forgot who her real friends are. And they are more than just friends, they're sisters.
- Citizens of Townsville
- Fancy Monster
- This is the first episode produced for the reboot, although not the first to AIR.
- The title of this episode is likely inspired by the main character and heroine from the book and movie, The Princess Bride.
- This episode is the first to include a version of the classic outro screen used in the original Powerpuff Girls series, in which the pulsating hearts are shown as usual. The Narrator is heard saying "And so, once again, the day is saved by the Powerpuff Girls!". Then, Bubbles pops up holding a death ball and says "And Deathball!". She then throws the death ball at the screen.
- This is Princess Morbucks' first appearance in the 2016 reboot, with Haley Mancini, the story editor of this series, replacing Jennifer Hale as the voice of her.
- Tom Kenny reprises his role as the Narrator from the original series. And if one goes by production order, the narrator is the first character to speak in the reboot.
- When Princess Morbucks introduces herself, a group of female singers is heard singing her name as well as the lines "Later!" and "Oh Yeah". The same thing happens in "Horn Sweet Horn" and "Tiara Trouble".
- When Blossom and Bubbles are in the bathtub, the same thing happened from the original series episode, "Down 'n' Dirty".
- This is also the second time that Bubbles is shown letting her hair down and without her pigtails.
- The theme song of the show, "Who's Got the Power?", is played in the background when the Girls fight Princess Morbucks in her robot.
- Derbytantes is a pun for the words "derby" and "debutante".
- This episode is included on the The Powerpuff Girls: Tiara Trouble (V1) DVD.
- For one frame, right above Buttercup, there’s a coloring glitch. A closer look also shows that it distorts her helmet. Can’t really think of a reason aside from it being coloring tests and it is a coloring guide they just forgot to remove.
- Blossom’s hair is blonde instead of the usual red-orange in the bath scene.
- Blossom’s animation is delayed and doesn’t follow Princess until after a few frames of her being up too far already.