|Mime for a Change|
|Episode name pun on: The phrase "Time for a change" and a Mime|
|Airdate:||February 3, 1999|
"Just Another Manic Mojo"
"The Rowdyruff Boys"
"Mime for a Change" is the second half of the eleventh episode of Season 1. It first aired on Cartoon Network in the United States on February 3, 1999.
An accidental bleach spill turns Rainbow the Clown into the malevolent Mr. Mime, and he proceeds to turn Townsville black and white (and silent) and dead all over (except Bubbles, who is already in color). The thought of a colorless world has the Girls seeing red, and before he knows it, Mr. Mime's number is up.
At the beginning of the episode, happy and ever-colorful Rainbow the Clown is entertaining a group of kids for a birthday party (which is hosted for a boy named Jim). He sings a song, making the kids laugh and cheer. In the end, he dances to the road, only to hear a bleach truck approach! The bleach truck notices Rainbow and flops on its side, and safely goes around Rainbow. Despite the near-miss for Rainbow, the tipped truck's trailer bursts and spills bleach out all over him. The bleach makes Rainbow's colors disappear and the joy drain out, turning him into the evil Mr. Mime. The truck driver asks if he is okay and, horrified by the color, Mr. Mime drains the color from him, followed by his voice draining as well. A boy tries to speak, but the clown drains his color and voice, too. Demonstrating his new form, Mr. Mime then stomps on the ground, reducing the area black and white. He then moves onto the rest of Townsville.
Meanwhile, the Powerpuff Girls are heading to school on a bus. Bubbles is singing and coloring. When she is done, she holds up a picture of them. Blossom nods, and Buttercup stares. She complains to the bus driver about how close they are, and he says they have one more stoplight to pass. However, with the stoplight being colorless, the bus almost collides with a car when the girls intervene to save both vehicles. Once they snuggle each other, Bubbles yells, "WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE COLOOOOORR?!?!?!"
Sure enough, Townsville is two-toned, looking somewhat like an old-time movie! Bubbles frantically starts to color Townsville as Blossom and Buttercup search for clues. They finally find Mr. Mime, stripping color from people and objects alike, and chase him into an alley wherein he disappears. Just when they don't see him, he goes behind them and drains both their color and movement. Meanwhile, after her coloring spree, Bubbles comes to notice her sisters' absence. Passing those that have lack of color and noise, she looks for them and is so horrified at their comatose, colorless bodies she starts to cry...until she gets the idea to recolor them with her crayons.
She tries the approach, but to no avail; Blossom and Buttercup are still black and white and comatose. Realizing that her beautiful crayons can't help them recover, citing that they aren't magic, she drops them to the ground and screams "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" until she gets another idea.
Bubbles sets up drums on a big stage, and Buttercup and Blossom up as well, holding a Hofner bass guitar and V-shaped electric guitar, respectively. She begins to play, and the second she starts drumming color starts returning. Her sisters wake up and start playing their guitars and then Bubbles starts singing lead. Yes, the song Love Makes The World Go Round shows everyone that happiness is all in the color. All the color returns, and with it the happiness and life of the people of Townsville. During the song, Mr. Mime, furious as can be, bears witness to this recolorization and attempts to turn the girls black and white again. Blossom begins her guitar solo and notices Mr. Mime approaching. Blossom shoots magic waves from her guitar and zaps Mr. Mime, restoring Rainbow and his colorful, cheerful personality.
At the end of the song, Rainbow sings his gratitude to the girls, who, in return, beat him up and throw him in jail, most likely for draining Townsville's color as Mr. Mime. The narrator announces the day is saved once again, and the girls continue performing from there.
- Bubbles: (angry) (picks up the car) HEY! YOU CAN'T PARK NEXT TO A FIRE HYDRANT!!
- Driver: I didn't- (Bubbles tosses the car far away) KNOOOOOOOOW!!!!
- Bubbles: (to her sisters): Don't just stand there! START COLORING!!!!!!
- Along with "Just Another Manic Mojo," this episode doesn't include the Professor and the girls' home.
- Bubbles is the only character shown who is never touched by Rainbow's dark corrupted persona, Mr. Mime.
- The bleach truck driver is the first subject to have been touched by Mr. Mime.
- Rainbow and the bleach truck driver are once again seen in Birthday Bash.
- George Jetson from The Jetsons makes an appearance in this episode.
- Originally, the episode was going to have a happier ending where Rainbow is let off the hook by the girls, but the executives decided to change the ending by having Rainbow end up being beaten up by the girls and thrown in jail because they hold him responsible for the whole thing in the first place where he was his evil, dark alter ego, Mr. Mime. Also possible that the girls must also hate clowns, especially Rainbow.
- Mr. Mime is the name of a Pokémon from the Pokémon series. However, in August 2021, Craig McCracken confirmed that this was a coincidence. [https://twitter.com/CrackMcCraigen/status/1431631215208009729?s=20]Mr. Mime supposed to be Rainbow's "Mr. Hyde", where he turned from a colorful, good-natured clown to an evil color-hating black-and-white mime with the ability of turning everybody and everything black-and-white-and-gray and silent.
- This is the first and only episode seen wherein the girls are playing instruments; Bubbles being the drummer, Buttercup as the bassist, and Blossom as the lead guitarist, which is quite ironic since both Buttercup and Blossom's instruments require finger coordination which they lack in their physical properties.
- This is one of Craig McCracken's ten favorite episodes.
- Jim is Jim Worthy, a background designer on the show. As an inside joke, some storyboard artists started inserting him into episodes when they needed a random character to appear. Jim did his own voice in Him Diddle Riddle.
- The girls are shown in a band again in the reboot episode Electric Buttercup, but as a harder and trashier band. Also in Trouble Clef wearing retro 80's clothes up against Princess Morbucks made a music video with negative and false information about them to make them look bad and make her looks good.
During Love Makes The World Go Round:
- If you look closely when Blossom is ready to fire her guitar ray at Mr. Mime, her left leg is bare.
- During the line "Hear the birds and bells and you will have a brighter day," Blossom's guitar is white instead of red.
- During the simultaneous harmony, if you look closely, you can see Blossom isn't actually singing her line, she is actually mouthing Buttercup's line. Also, in the final scene of the harmony, both Blossom and Bubbles are mouthing Buttercup's line instead of singing their own.
- Right when the color starts spreading from the drums, there is a gap between Bubbles' body and the drum set, where the background is visible.
- When the girls sing the last line, Bubbles and Blossom sing each other's entrances instead of their own.
From other scenes:
- When Bubbles is frantically trying to color Townsville, she isn't carrying a box of crayons with her and her crayons appear to come out of nowhere.
- During Happy Birthday Jim, Rainbow puts a crown on Jim's head, but after the second verse, it disappears magically and never returns.
- The Powerpuff Girls were in a school bus heading to school in their first scene of the episode. By right, the girls don't need to use a school bus going to and from school because they can fly and fly fast. But they need to use a school bus in Town and Out to go to a school in Citiesville for the first (and also the last) time because they don't know where it is and they probably need keep on taking the school bus to the school in Citiesville, if they stay in Citiesvillie any longer because The Mayor of Citiesville prohibits them from using any of their superpowers, especially flight in Citiesville after they destroyed a bridge, which it was a precious landmark in order to stop some crooks.
- When Bubbles drops her crayons, only two crayons crack instead of all of them.
- Although this episode premiered in 1999, it was produced in 1998 according to the credits.