|Episode name pun on: The Powerpuff Girl Buttercup and the word "Crush"|
|Airdate:||December 9, 1998|
|Director:||Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken|
How did you like Buttercrush?
"Buttercrush" is episode 4a in Season 1.
PlotOne day, The Gangreen Gang is causing trouble for a group of kids at the park when The Powerpuff Girls show up. Ace pretends to claim that Snake (whom the girls had caught being nasty to a boy and giving him a wedgie) didn't know what he was doing. Buttercup develops a crush on Ace and feels sorry for his words.
The next day, the girls are on a field trip to the museum with their class when they see the gang smashing exhibits to get into a soda machine.
Then Blossom and Bubbles flew straight away to beat them up. Ace, who had escaped from the girls' sight, made his way close to Buttercup (who had stepped back at the fight) and convinced her that the gang just wanted a soda and that the girls were being too rough with them.Buttercup flew and saved the other Gangreen Gang members from her sisters by dropping a carpet over the fight so they could not see that the gang had left. When the gang is leaving, Buttercup gave Ace a soda and he told her that she could hang out with the gang anytime. That evening when her sisters were asleep, Buttercup flew to the junkyard where is the gang's shack and (after an awkward silence) Snake screamed saying that she should not be in there, then Buttercup punched his nose (just like Ace does often when Snake speaks out of line) and then the gang starts to hang out with her.
That morning, when the sun starts rising, Buttercup leaves after accepting to come back again that night.
The gang (except Ace) spend a long time saying goodbyes at her when she was totally out of sight Ace screamed at the gang to shut up and told them that she was not their friend and Buttercup was going to be a tool to control Townsville.
That night, Buttercup came into the gang's hideout as promised before and (to her surprise) she found that the rest of the gang had left her alone with her crush (Ace told her that the guys where going to get some pizza); but the four remaining Gangreens were actually going to call the Powerpuff Girls. Grubber imitated Buttercup's voice to fool Blossom and Bubbles into believing that Buttercup was stuck at the City Dump. Things looked pretty dim for these two until Buttercup punched the shack's wall accidentally (while dancing to rock music with Ace) and blew it down to find her sisters about to be dropped into a big lava container.
Scorned, Buttercup quickly saved her sisters and beat up Snake, Lil' Arturo, Grubber and Big Billy, saving Ace for last. Ace claimed he was dragged into the plan, but Buttercup (ignoring his excuses) kicked, punched, gave him a bloody nose, and beat him up with much more rage and ferocity than the rest of the gang.Then Blossom asked her sister what was going on, but Buttercup only told them that she was sorry and hugged both of her sisters (who were still stuck on the metal containers on which the Gangreen Gang had imprisoned them in).
- The only words stated by Buttercup in the whole episode (not counting her giggling at the beginning of the episode, and, if listened to carefully enough, her low growl toward the end) are "I'm sorry" (at the end).
- This is the first appearance of The Gangreen Gang, not counting Whoopass Stew's intro.
- When Ace says Buttercup's name, he pronounces it "Buddacup" because of his accent.
- The girls are sleeping in their regular attire than their usual nightgowns. Also, Buttercup is still in her shoes.
- In the Movie, the Girls briefly encounter the Gangreen Gang, but it's unknown why they have no memory of them in this episode. It's likely because the encounter they had wasn't very long.
- In the Cartoon Network Game Fusion Fall, Ace is also said to be Buttercup's boyfriend. Buttercup's crush on him is also mentioned twice in Aspirations.
- This is the only episode in which Lil' Arturo was voiced by Carlos Alazraqui.